There’s no other word to describe it. It scares the hell out of me when it happens. It’s so frickin’ PERFECT. I mean, I couldn’t have planned this. I didn’t, I swear. I actually had a lot of this wrong years ago when I first began jotting down notes for where I wanted Shannari’s story to go. I still had a lot of this wrong in my head until just a few minutes ago.
I said the other day that Return to Shanhasson would be where Blood and Fire collide. Gah, even then, I didn’t know how true that statement was. I missed it. It was sitting there, staring at me, waiting for me to finally notice it and then WHAMMO, I’m sitting here at the Evil Day Job frantically working on a real deadline and now my mouth is hanging open, my mind filled images so real, so frightening, so magnificent, I can’t even put it into words.
- the Keldari oil isn’t “caco” scented as I wrote it. Scent is very important in this series — and this was a deliberate ploy that I missed entirely and must correct. This oil could only be sandalwood.
- A certain new character that is not yet on page is even more important than I ever thought. I had his heritage completely wrong, although I knew he was neither from the Green Lands nor Sha’Kae al’Dan. So close, but I missed it by a mile until now. Dharman is going to DESPISE him and justly so, and yet…
- The unnamed antagonist is exactly who I thought he was, but he’s not, and this is the big, big chance for me to pull off the reverse of the theme: Even the blackest Shadow can be redeemed through love.
- This is going to add a TON of suspense as the midway to end scenes play out, because even now, I’m not really sure if the antagonist can do this. Seriously. I. Do. Not. Know. How. To. Pull. This. Off. But I must. Because…
- I need to write out the original devalki that cursed the Keldari because damn it all to the Three Hells, that story is playing out now, again, and I can only make it RIGHT this time, if I know how the original story went WRONG.
- I need to know what happens in the partially-plotted Keldari novella “Given In Fire” and drop a few select hints there for where this is all going. As if I don’t have enough to do…
And none of this was in my original outline. Vulkar help me, I think I’ve got another 120K story in the works here….