The universal truth about me and plans…. If I write it down, it WILL change.
But I have to plan to the best of my ability, while remaining flexible. I know things will change. But I’d like to lay out a little bit about what you can expect from me this year.
First, let me start with a few things I’ve (finally) learned.
- I have to finish series as quickly as possible. For many reasons, but the primary two: I get bored easily and it helps sales. Readers really really want complete series. Some won’t even buy it until it’s complete, because they don’t want to be stuck hanging around waiting for that last book for year(s).
- Corollary: I have more control over this if I’m indie. I won’t have to worry about publishers cancelling my series and killing my motivation to work on a “dead” book again.
- I have to have deadlines. I’m a “perceiving” personality type – which really means pressure. I like pressure. I like deadlines. Sometimes the only thing holding my attention on a single project is the deadline, and yeah, the tighter the better. I will have to be sensitive to burn out and pushing myself too much, but if I just work on whatever I want, whenever I want, I WILL NEVER FINISH. So, deadlines.
- I have to track. Words, sales, pages read, everything. I am becoming a spreadsheet master.
First Half of 2018:
So with that information laid out, my #1 priority in 2018 is to finish Their Vampire Queen. That means…
- Queen Takes Queen will release 1/29/2018. I am currently behind schedule, but will keep pushing to get this turned around.
- I’m going to stick to releases every 45-60 days as much as possible.
- There are three more planned books.
- Mayte’s book, untitled, end of March/first of April
- Leonie’s book, untitled, end of May/first of June
- Queens Take God, the final showdown, working title, end of July/first of August
I have a secret pen name series that I never finished that has a lot of potential. I’m getting the next two covers made in January to light a fire under my behind. Ideally I’ll release the next two books close together and have another complete series. I’m not sure of length or timing yet. I’d planned to write at least one in January – but it depends on how long Queen goes over. I may not be able to fit it in yet. I may cram the Queen books closer together to make room on my schedule for new things, rather than trying to switch back and forth. We’ll see.
I’ve verbally committed to writing a novella for a St. Patrick’s Day themed anthology, finished story due by 2/28. I’ve got a loose idea for it, but haven’t started it yet, and the idea could be “big.” e.g. it may not fit into a shorter piece and do it justice. I may back out of this one, pending timing, how everything goes in January, etc. We’ll see.
I am reworking the Shanhasson trilogy covers with the same cover artist in February. FOR PRINT! And I’ll plan to release a boxed set of the trilogy as well. Maybe some new content. We’ll see.
“We’ll see.” See what I mean? haha. Ultimately, my goal is to get to as close as possible to one new release a month. That may mean cramming the Queen books closer together. Or stretching them out slightly to let me fit a different release in between. I’m not sure which one will work best yet.
Second half of 2018:
New series planning. It’ll be reverse harem, and either SFR or dark contemporary. I have ideas for both, but haven’t spent time yet to see which one will hold my interest the most. But I will definitely be ready to kickstart a brand new idea!
I need to reissue Lady Wyre’s series and get at least the third book I’d planned finished, again, keeping with that “finish” theme!
I want to write Three Cuts Deader this year. Because this is a “want to” project, and I don’t have control over the first two books, this may fall lower on the list. I’m limited in promotions and marketing I can do when I don’t control the series. But a handful of you do occasionally ask about this series and I really would like to do one more.
Up for grabs. AKA I have no idea.
I have FOUR premade covers I’ve purchased over the past few months just for fun. One is definitely fantasy, and I’d love to write a big, sweeping epic fantasy again. But I don’t have a specific idea or plan yet. Two are definitely contemporary. The other one makes me think royalty, but could go fantasy too. They were pretty and cheap and I couldn’t resist!
So, that’s as specific of a plan as I can get! I’ve got a lot of new ideas, which is great. I’m writing again, hard, which is the GREATEST. As long as the Muse continues to cooperate, my general goals are to
- finish what I start
- release nearly monthly
- get as close to one million new words as possible
6 thoughts on “Writing in 2018 – The Plan”
Sounds freaking AWESOME!! Go Joely!! <3
Woho! Go Joely!
I’m keeping my eyes peel open for any of your books this year and I admit I’m becoming a stalker of my email for that ARC of Queen Takes Queen, obviously because there is just so much times I can re-read the other two books LOL
Love you. Keep on writing!
haha, now that kind of stalker I approve of! I’m behind but hope to get ARCs out around the 20-23rd or so? I know that’s pushing it but I’ve got a long ways to go yet.
Woo hoo Sounds busy! And I can’t wait. Just let me know if you need any readers. 😁😁😁
You go girl! Kick some writing ass in 2018 and make it the best year.
I think you have a great schedule for releases. The ideas for the Queen books are in your head and the working titles are awesome. I know there is always change when you are a writer and stuff happen. I just hope that you keep writing and updating us 🙂