Why is it soooo easy to fall back into bad habits…but so hard to establish GOOD ones? I guess maybe I’m inherently lazy.
But so far in 2012, I’ve been working really hard on establishing some daily routines.
- Before I go to bed, I prep the coffee pot for 5 AM.
- The monsters got me an iPhone dock to replace my alarm clock for Christmas. I decided to quit doing my “backup” alarm — which almost always is like a 30-min snooze instead of really there to make sure we get up. One alarm at 5 AM. Get up. No questions. It’s been really really hard. I’ve been struggling to stay functional, but I’m hoping to settle into the regular routine and increase my productivity.
- I’m writing by 5:30 AM. I only have about 30 mins before I have to get Princess up, but I’ve been getting between 300-500 words. Not NaNoWriMo pace, but steady.
- I’m continuing to track my food per Weight Watchers.
- I’ve completed one week of Power 90, and started the second week today.
Between Dark & Early and exercise, I’m starving! So I’ve been eating 2 small breakfasts plus a later small lunch, shifting some of my points earlier in the day so I eat less at night. I’ve also been eating all my points and then some – when last year I was almost always 3-7 points under. I’m really hungry though, not just bored, tired, etc. so I’m eating within reason, tracking, and counting it toward my exercise points.
So far I’m staying steady at my low weight. I haven’t lost, but I know it’s going to take a week or two for my body to adjust to regular exercise. Plus Power 90 isn’t like taking a little walk. This is hard stuff, including weights, and my muscles might retain water initially. I need to eat enough to ensure I’m recovering and fueling for the next day.
I’m concentrating on quality protein. Chicken, egg whites, wild salmon, lean beef. I also bought some miso, dashi, and soba noodles so I can make my own Japanese-inspired soups for a small, low-point, hot lunch (vs. salads) for these cold winter days. I’m still a little worried that I might not be getting enough protein, so this week I’m going to pick a day to double track my points into Spark People and see points vs. protein/carb breakdown. I might need to start drinking a protein shake, but I’m very picky. I want something with all-natural ingredients – especially no artificial sweeteners. I’ve found one that looks excellent (Beach Body’s Shakeology) but holy smokes, I’m not paying $118 for a 30-day supply! If anyone has any recs, I’d love to hear them!
Now my next most important habit to start… getting to bed at a decent time so I’m not so tired!