One of the reasons I really wanted to “win” NaNoWriMo last year was to get the nice discount on Scrivener for Windows. I would have bought it either way, but having the $$ incentive really helped!
I’m writing the next project in Scrivener so far, and I’m struggling a little. I honestly don’t know if it’s the project — because I don’t have it well plotted — or the way I have the project set up. It’s not what I planned to work on (Phantom) but this project has a deadline if I want it to be considered.
I used the normal ms template, although I’m not messing with “Chapters.” I don’t have it plotted well enough to know where the chapter breaks are! I’m basically using the 001, 002, etc. sequencing to keep track of scenes. I’ve done this before, starting a new file almost each day. In fact, I wrote the first Bloodgate book that way. However… It feels too disjointed this time.
I don’t have time to keep reading back over what I’ve done already, but it’s not sticking in my mind. I don’t have that “connection” to this story yet, and I don’t know if it’s the way I’m writing it or the project itself.
The project hits all my favorite buttons. It even fits my brand! But something’s not clicking. The engine is running, but it’s a little too loud and clanky, if you know what I mean. I’m getting about 400 words each morning, nowhere near what I’m capable of normally, but all I can muster right now.
It could be the weather. This time of year, it’s so dark and cold in the mornings. It could be the effort of getting up D&E – sometimes I’m so tired that I’m mentally and physically incapable of making coffee (which is why I prep the pot the night before), so stringing words together can be a challenge.
I did a little better yesterday with 800 words, but back to about 400 today.
Maybe I’ll compile all my little sections into a single document and send it to my Kindle. See how the whole thing’s reading.