I haven’t been timing myself – but rather working as I can a little bit at a time, while doing other things when I get bored or frustrated.
- I started by reading my notes. I was surprised how little I actually had. I had two separate projects in Scrivener, but neither had much substance. Is the problem Scrivener itself? I haven’t yet successfully written an entire project there yet. Hmmm. Worth noting. (I wrote Lady Blackmyre entirely in Word. Same with the Zombie Category Romance, the last project I finished.)
- I made a few notes about things I needed to research for the world. Lady Wyre and her men are heading to a new planet, and I needed to do some worldbuilding and thinking about the characters and situation. I had to research the First Opium War and Empress Cixi. She’s a little late for “Regency” but I can’t resist her situation. She’s a woman in power in Imperial China, a feat indeed, and she totally fits into my “When ladies ruled the universe” story world.
- I was a little messed up by how few children the Emperor had at the time. I was envisioning more of a succession fight between brothers, but in reality, there was only one son and one daughter. I was thinking Curse of the Golden Flower succession fight, but I think this acually makes it *more* interesting and unique. Still, a wrench, that requires a little more brainstorming for Cixi’s motivations.
- I added a new character, Prince Gong, one of the Emperor’s brothers. I think he has a tie to Seven Crows, a story I worked on awhile back in this universe but never finished. (Originally I thought he was the Crown Prince, but again, back to the only one son situation.)
- I started a Pinterest board for this story to gather ideas and add inspiration.
I’m going to try plotting a bit more tomorrow. I have a big scene in mind at the end, but not much in the middle. I need a few more candybar scenes!