At 4:30 this afternoon, I turned over my last signoff for the last component of the project I had to finish for the Evil Day Job before I could start my vacation. I didn’t have a lunch, didn’t go with That Man to pick up the kids, and crammed straight through, but I made it! Yeehaw! I’m free for a four-day weekend!
Now I’m spending the evening prepping madly for NaNoWriMo. My tools so far:
- A really old hastily written “synopsis” of the entire series that I sent Deena over a year ago.
- Two brand new “electric” pencils as the monsters call them. (Mechanical, yellow, cheapos from the Dollar Store)
- A brand new rainbow pack of my current favorite pens. (Pilot Precise V5 in 7 colors)
- A brand new pack of index cards. I found some new ones at Wal-Mart that have colored bars on the lined side. The colors are wrong (pastel), but I like the bar effect.
- A brand new speckled red/black composition book. The color choice is obvious for those that know the Blood & Shadows world. This notebook I intend to use for free-writing if (when) I get stuck, and it’s small and sturdy enough to travel with me.
- A brand new lined “legal” pad — only the normal 8.5X11 size, white, already hole punched. It has a red binding. (Yes, I’m anal about the color.) It doesn’t have a cover, so it won’t travel with me. I can’t stand for my pages to get wrinkled. It’s my “jot down ideas for the next scene” notebook, or for questions, notes, etc. that may be slightly messy. I love the composition notebook, but it’s not easy for me to write on the left-hand page. This flips from the top and makes for easy and quick access.
- A pocket folder with brads. This item I still need to buy. I have numerous ones in my stash, but none of them are the right color. I need red!!!
So now while That Man zones in front of the TV, I will jot notes on my cards and see how many scenes I can get…. I’m going to try and stay up until midnight and get at least a couple of hundred words down to say I started.
Let the NaNoWriMo mania begin!