One year ago today I made a commitment to myself. I decided I was done playing around. Done feeling miserable. Done trying every crazy restricted diet. I signed up for Weight Watchers Online – again.
Yes, it wasn’t the first time. My first exposure to WW was as a kid. I remember Granny (my mom) gagging down the weekly requirement of liver and fish. *shudders* After Princess Monster was born (today’s her bday, by the way! Our first teenager!), I did an At-Work stint and lost my 10%.
We moved to MO shortly after. I had two more kids. And yeah, this time I had to lose quite a bit more to get the 10% award.
That’s how it is with “diets.” Any diet will work. For awhile. But then I get tired of eating all meat and eggs but no bread or fruit. Or all grains and fruit and no meat and eggs. Or no salt. No sugar. Or no fat… And inevitably, I fall off the plan. No matter how much I’ve lost, it sure is easy to gain it all back again. And then some.
No more. I decided I was going to choose a plan I could live with. If we go out to eat, I won’t have a panic attack that someone put salt on my veggies and I’ll be up ten pounds tomorrow. I won’t have to eat salad only. If I want a steak, fine. If I want dessert, great.
Within reason, anything is possible on Weight Watchers.
I wanted to be a good role model for the monsters. Instead of being OCD about what I can and can’t eat, I just try to make the healthiest choices I can. We’ve talked a lot about “points” and healthy guidelines. For fun, they’ve all taken turns figuring out how many points they’ve eaten. It’s eye opening, and has helped us cut back on seconds and poor-choice snacks more than once.
I can live on this plan. Really live. I’m already doing things I never thought possible.
- Lost 61.4 pounds and still counting.
- Stuck with a plan for an entire year.
- Jogged at the track – a whole quarter mile! – and didn’t die.
- Did an exercise tape I’d never even cracked open before – and it wasn’t impossible.
- Started wearing JEANS! And I’ve gone down three times in sizes!
- Bought some high-heeled boots to wear with those jeans.
- Shopped a lot – something I used to dread. Nothing worse than going into a store and realizing that absolutely nothing will even come close to fitting.
- Bought my first XL – non plus size! – shirt.
- Had my picture taken with the family for Christmas – something I’ve avoided for YEARS. I hate to have my picture taken! But I’m so glad we did it this year.
In 2012, I’m continuing my healthy eating habits, and I’m also working harder at exercise. So far, I’ve made it every day this month/year. Granted, we’re not even a week in yet but that’s an incredible start with my track record.
I’m feeling so good right now, not just physically, but about myself as a person. I’m taking care of myself, something that can be remarkably hard to do.
Thank you, Weight Watchers, for helping me LIVE.