Oh, dear, it’s been so long since I worked on this project that I forgot my own characters’ names! Not the major characters, obviously, and this story does have quite a large cast (with three major POV threads), but still, that’s not a good sign.
I decided to start by refreshing my memory (since it was so poor!) and tracked both subplot threads from start to finish as far as I’d written. Or so I thought — I got ready to start the next section and realized I’d written another one, but couldn’t find it. Doh! Found it — I’d forgotten to put it in the main draft. Of course I had to edit it, too, and then edited a few other things, one thing leading to another…
Finally, I sat down with the next scene solid in my mind, but the words came slooooowly. Partly because I’m sick–AGAIN–Princess Monster shared her crud with me. It took much longer than I care to admit, but I finally got that first draft section finished.
Only 3 more to go, then I’ll have a complete “first draft” and can piece the new sections into the revision as I edit the rest. I think that’ll keep me from stalling each time I move from “revision” to “new” sections.
This stop and start, stop and start, and problems with my organization (or lack thereof), have really caused this manuscript’s revision to be more painful than it should have been. It ranks as the toughest revision I’ve ever done, and sadly, it’ll probably need another pass before I can submit. The opening page(s) still need some work. I’m not happy with them yet.